Illustrated Codes for Designers: Non-Residential
Illustrated Codes for Designers: Non-Residential is an interactive DVD that equips interior design students with the knowledge needed to work within the laws, codes, regulations and standards that apply to non-residential environments. It explains how codes related to safety, accessibility and more must be integrated into the design process at various stages, and explores how they affect different project types, including office, retail, healthcare and assembly environments. Based on the 2009 International Building Code, with many North American standards addressed as well, the DVD creates an active learning environment in which students will learn to use codes as an integral part of the design process.
- Introduction of key concepts and principles providing an effective foundational understanding
- Interviews with designers and code officials
- Case studies that provide examples in applications of varying scope, recognizing the wide variation in interior design practice
- Graphic and written timelines illustrating key times during project phases to consult specific laws, codes, regulations and standards
- Multiple interactive tools that encourage critical decision-making.