Estimating Home Building Costs, Revised is a practical guide to estimating home construction costs. It has been updated with digital Excel estimating forms and worksheets that ensure accurate and complete estimates for residential projects. The enclosed CD can be used to create estimates as readers follow along with the step-by-step techniques in this book. Clear, simple instructions show how to estimate labor and material costs for each stage of construction, from site clearing to figuring markup and profit. Every chapter includes a sample cost estimate worksheet that lists all the materials to be estimated. On the CD all these worksheets are provided as Excel spreadsheets. The final chapter shows you how to figure your markup and profit to arrive at a sales price. Readers will learn simple and effective ways to estimate:
- Site clearing and excavation
- Footing and foundation material and labor: concrete, masonry, basements and waterproofing
- Floor systems material and labor: sill plates, girders, ledgers, joists, hangers, headers, bridging, and subfloors
- Stairways: including how to calculate rise and run, tread depth, and stringer length
- Walls and ceilings: studs, headers, sheathing, bracing, and joists
- Rafter and roof framing: including calculating rafter length, ridges, rafter supports, trusses, roof sheathing
- Roofing materials: underlayment, flashing, ventilation, shingles, and subcontractor costs
- Interior finishes and trim: drywall, painting, molding, floor coverings, kitchens and bathrooms
- Exterior and interior trim and finish materials: windows, doors, siding, brick materials, and labor
- Concrete for floors, walkways and patios
- Overhead and profit, including setting sales prices.
Specialized worksheets guide readers through calculations for common rafter lengths, headers, and estimating areas of walls and ceilings. There are also time-saving factor tables for roof pitch, jack and hip rafter lengths, brick courses, concrete volume, mortar, and much more.
Softcover. Includes CD.