Public-Sector Project Management: Meeting the Challenges and Achieving Results is a guide to project management success in the public sector. Building on industry standards and best practices the book clearly explains how to manage projects in the public sector and navigate their many challenges. Contains all the tools to accomplish goals for any public-sector project. The book describes both the obstacles and basic processes of public-sector project management and examines the differences between public-sector and private-sector projects, including the management of the wide array of public-sector stakeholders. Includes:
- Expert guidance consistent with project management best practices
- In-depth coverage of public-sector constraints, including purchasing systems, legal mandates, political and media oversight, and complex rules and processes
- Specific strategies to enhance the management capability of public-sector managers and private-sector project managers working under government contracts
- Emphasis on the role of planning in managing customer, manager and project team expectations, and coping with the overlapping systems of constraints that impede public-sector projects
- Techniques for managing contractors and vendors
- Tools for managing the complexity inherent in most public-sector projects
- Insightful case studies of notable and historic public-sector projects; chapter-ending discussion questions and exercises; numerous tables and figures; and key terms in the glossary.